- My computer did not come with a gcc compiler installed. This is necessary to install. Fortunately, there is a free download. The instructions for doing this can be found here.
- I did not have access to my usr/local/bin directory. Fortunately, I am friends with Ben Newton, who explained what I should do. He says to:
- Log on as the root user by typing “su root” from a terminal window. To enable the root user, see this webpage.
- Create directory /usr/local/gap.
- Change the ownership to your usual profile using the “chown” command.
- Log out.
- Follow the instructions on the GAP website.
- Solve some famous problem on GAP and become famous.
Everything worked well after this.