Let’s suppose you had $1000 to spend to help you become a better teacher. What would you purchase? Please answer in the comments—your numbers do not need to total $1000, but nothing should cost more than $1000.
Here is my short list (as usual, no one paid me to mention these):
- Classroom whiteboards and markers (maybe $100?)
- Document camera ($60)
- A fast, two-sided scanner so I can move to all electronic grading ($550)
- Maybe a new Chromebook to help me with screencasts ($300)
- A wireless presenter (more for conferences than for teaching; $55)
- Centimeter cubes and fraction tiles for my elementary education majors ($20 and $80)
- A smart pen ($100; I have actually barely used mine, but I can’t help thinking that I could use it more).
What else do you recommend? You can either list things that you have already purchased or things that you wish you could purchase.